Last Updated on by
Natural Remedies For Yeast Infection
Natural remedies for yeast infection are very popular as a natural alternative to anti fungal drugs and yeast infection treatment pills.
The idea behind home remedies for yeast infection is simple.
Many foods and herbs have natural antifungal properties. Coconut oil, garlic, ozonated olive oil and apple cider vinegar are common examples that are also supported by the medical community.
Natural remedies however, are not always safe. You need to know when and how to use natural remedies for yeast infection. More importantly, you need to know which remedies to avoid.
That is exactly the purpose of this experts guide.
About This Guide
This experts guide is a shorter version of our original Home Remedies for Yeast Infection.
Taken from our life changing lessons series, the original version is very comprehensive.
We covered everything you need to know, including the reason behind our recommendations, our experience and the relevant science.
Based on your many requests, this guide is the short version.
Best Natural remedies for yeast infection
We included links to the original experts guides for more details, as well as step by step recipes and instructions.
Cleansing your colon is one of the best natural remedies for yeast infection. It is often recommended by many health authorities, as the first step of the treatment. Yet, it is often misunderstood.
The idea is simple. Candida and yeast infections are usually caused by imbalances in the gut.
A constipated, congested or irritated colon is a breeding ground for candida yeasts, parasites and other pathogens.
As long as your colon has waste buildup that can feed candida, candida will continue to grow and cause more yeast infections.
Cleansing your colon can help to stop this vicious cycle.
Oxygen Colon Cleanse
Oxygen colon cleanse (Oxy-Powder ) releases oxygen in the colon to detoxify and loosen toxins, undigested food particles and waste buildup. This helps the body to naturally flush these toxins throughout normal bowel movements.
The weight of the waste buildup in the colon may be 10-20 pounds and sometimes even more. When the body gets rid of such a burden, it has more energy and resources to perform better and to actually heal other areas which were neglected before.
Most people start to notice significant improvements in the first 24-48 hours.
Oxygen colon cleanse is the preferred choice of many health practitioners due to its efficiency, ease of use, and safety profile.
The progress many people achieve during the 5-10 days of the oxygen cleanse is so significant, that it makes antifungal supplements optional in a lot of these cases.
To learn more about the oxygen colon cleanse: Oxygen colon cleanse for yeast infections.
Coconut Oil For Yeast Infection
Coconut oil is one of the most popular natural remedies for yeast infection. Ideal for both internal and external use.
Coconut oil, Internal Use
Internal use of coconut oil is the base of many candida diet recipes and natural remedies for yeast infection.
These benefits are mainly due to two unique properties of the fatty acids found in coconut oil:
- Antifungal properties: coconut oil was suggested by many studies as effective for candida and yeast infections (1, 2 ,3). The fact that coconut oil kills candida and yeast can help with yeast infections and candida issues. It can also cause a detox reaction when used internally. If you have never used coconut oil internally before, start with a 1 teaspoon (5 grams) and test your body’s response.
- Great energy source: coconut oil is one of the best natural sources of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs).
MCTs are fatty acids that are easily assimilated by the body. The energy you can get from MCTs can last many hours. This makes coconut oil an excellent choice during the candida diet. Especially as a substitute to high carb foods.
Coconut oil, Skin
Coconut oil is commonly used in many natural remedies for yeast infection on skin. One reason is its antifungal properties.
The second reason, is that coconut oil can help to soothe and relieve the irritated skin.
On its own however, coconut oil may not be effective for yeast infection on skin.
For this reason, it is usually combined with other more potent ingredients such as ozonated olive oil.
For more details, see: coconut – ozonated olive oil cream.
To read our complete experts guide on coconut oil: Coconut Oil For Yeast Infection.
Ozonated Olive Oil
Ozonated olive oil has been extensively studied with its effectiveness and safety demonstrated in many published human studies. In these studies, Ozonated olive oil was compared to prescription antifungal creams. The studies suggested Ozonated olive oil as a natural effective safe alternative to these drugs.
What makes Ozonated olive oil one of the best natural remedies for yeast infections, is its unique ability to:
- Relieve the fungal infection (4).
- Soothe skin irritation.
- Accelerate wound healing (5).
- Condition and moisturize the dry skin.
All at the same time. All natural.
Ozonated olive oil may provide relief for many types of external fungal infections (4). It is gentle enough for delicate areas and concerns such as face, vaginal yeast infections (8), gum infections (6) and oral infections (7). Yet, it is potent enough for aggressive fungal infections such as athlete’s foot, jock itch, and toenails.
Apple Cider Vinegar For Yeast Infection
Raw unfiltered unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is a true staple seen in many natural remedies for yeast infection.
The main reason is that apple cider vinegar is very effective in removing toxins out of the body and promoting healthy digestion.
Some studies have also suggested it may be effective against candida (9).
If you suffer from constipation, irregular bowel movements or bloating, drinking water with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice on an empty stomach may be very helpful.
The overnight toxins flush is a great example of this recipe, and makes an ideal use of apple cider vinegar for yeast infection. This simple recipe is the base of many natural remedies for yeast infection.
Apple Cider Vinegar Side Effects
Using apple cider vinegar can cause serious health issues when not used correctly. Unfortunately, we see this in many natural remedies for yeast infection. Here is a summary of the risky uses of apple cider vinegar for yeast infections:
- Always dilute: apple cider vinegar side effects are usually related to its high acidity. When consumed internally, always dilute. Start with 1 teaspoon in 16 ounces of water. See the overnight toxins flush for the complete recipe.
- Not for Thrush: rinsing your mouth with an acidic ingredient like apple cider vinegar can irritate your mouth and damage your gums and teeth. Even when diluted in water.
- Not for Topical Use: when applied topically, apple cider vinegar can irritate the skin or even cause a chemical burn (10).
- Not for Vaginal Infections: intravaginal use of apple cider vinegar is known to cause irritation and burning. In many cases it made the vaginal yeast infection become worse. Even when diluted. This also applies to douching. Too risky.
- Only Short Term: according to the medical community, ongoing apple cider vinegar drinking can lead to erosive tooth wear (11).
To read our complete apple cider vinegar experts guide: Apple cider vinegar for yeast infections.
Garlic For Yeast Infection
The best and only way to use garlic for yeast infections, is to add it to candida diet recipes.
This is a very common use, seen in many natural remedies for yeast infection. So why should you use garlic for yeast infection?
- Allicin: the active component of garlic, is well known for its potent antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. It is also responsible for galric’s aroma.
- Raw: garlic is most potent on its raw fresh form. Its active ingredients become available by crushing, chewing or when you cut the garlic. This is when you start to smell the aroma. It is recommended to consume the garlic shortly after.
- Only if you like garlic: on its own, garlic may not be as effective for yeast infections. If you don’t like garlic, no need to start eating it. If you do enjoy its taste, garlic can boost many recipes, and is a great addition to the candida diet.
Garlic Side Effects
Natural remedies for yeast infection that use garlic, are not always safe. Wrong use of garlic can cause unpleasant discomforts.
Here are the most common ones:
- Eating too much garlic or consuming raw garlic by itself: known to cause burning sensation in the mouth and digestive issues such as heartburn, nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas and diarrhea.
- Intravaginal use of garlic is a really bad idea. Garlic suppository or other methods involving inserting garlic into the vagina are known to cause many side effects such as burning, irritation, pain and other discomforts.
To read our complete experts guide on garlic: Garlic For Yeast Infection.
Medical Publications – List Of References
- Comparison of Antimicrobial Activity of Chlorhexidine, Coconut Oil, Probiotics, and Ketoconazole on Candida albicans.
- In vitro antimicrobial properties of coconut oil on Candida species in Ibadan, Nigeria.
- In Vitro Killing of Candida albicans by Fatty Acids and Monoglycerides.
- Comparing the effect of ozonized olive oil with clotrimazole on three Candida species C. albiacans, C. glabrata, C. krusei.
- Therapeutic Effects of Topical Application of Ozone on Acute Cutaneous Wound Healing.
- Effect of subgingival application of topical ozonated olive oil in the treatment of chronic periodontitis.
- Efficacy of ozonized olive oil in the management of oral lesions and conditions.
- The Effects of Ozonated Olive Oil and Clotrimazole Cream for Treatment of Vulvovaginal Candidiasis.
- Antifungal Activity of Apple Cider Vinegar on Candida Species Involved in Denture Stomatitis.
- Chemical burn from topical apple cider vinegar.
- Unhealthy weight loss. Erosion by apple cider vinegar.